About the Festival
STATUTE OF INTERNATIONAL PUPPET THEATRE FOR ADULTS FESTIVAL “PIERROT”
International Puppet Theatre for Adults Festival “PIERROT” was created in the year of 2000 under the initiative of Non-profit organization “PIERROT. It’s an unconventional European stage for puppetry, dedicated to new and untypical art forms: puppet theatre for adults.
The festival is biennial and it’s held in the period September 24 - 29 under the patronage of the District Governor of District Stara Zagora. Organizers of the festival are State Puppet Theatre – Stara Zagora, Municipality of Stara Zagora, Non-profit organization “PIERROT”, National Center for theatre, Ministry of culture, Bulgarian Center of UNIMA.
International Puppet Theatre for Adults Festival “PIERROT” includes as additional events theoretical seminars, workshops, art market, exhibitions, street art.
- Development and distribution of the professional puppet theatre art;
- Recognizing the culture as an important element of the social integration process and the citizenship;
- Transforming the theatre into a different future, into a bridge that crosses borders and establishes friendship and understanding between nations with different cultures and traditions;
- Establishing the foundations of a long term network for artistic and educational exchange and co-operation between puppeteers from different continents;
- Encouraging creativity and international spreading of cultural values, movement of artists, creators and their works. Emphasizing the cultural diversity and the development of new forms of art expression.
The organizers of International Puppet Theatre for Adults Festival “PIERROT” announce calls for applications for professional puppeteers, working in the filed of puppet theatre for adults. The manager of the fest appoints a Selection Commission which estimates the proposals received.
Participants in “PIERROT” are professional Bulgarian and foreign companies. They present performances, created not earlier than 3 years before the respective festival edition.
Festival is grouped in two sections:
а/ puppet theatre for adults;
b/ experimental and new forms in the field of puppet theatre for adults. The potential participants could apply with two performances. If so, one of the performances should be in section b/ experimental and new forms in the field of puppet theatre for adults.
Applicants submit their written proposals (incl. application form, CD/DVD record, short description of the play, 6 photos, program, poster, reviews, letters of recommendations, press dossier and a technical rider) to the official address of State Puppet Theatre – Stara Zagora.
All accommodation and food expenses are covered by the festival. Contracts are signed with all companies selected for participation in the competition program. Festival pays some fees to the companies for their presentation against an invoice for the same amount. “PIERROT” is held in Bulgaria. The number of the performances held and the amount of the fees are indicated in the respective contracts with the companies, according to the festival’s budget.
Participants cover their travel expenses on their own.
AWARDS AND HONOURS
Festival “PIERROT” is a competition. Its manager appoints an International Jury composed of well-known theatre experts: authors, directors, composers, stage designers and actors which estimate the performances presented in the competition program.
The following awards are bestowed:
• GRAND PRIX Best Performance Award - a bronze statuette “PIERROT” made by the sculptor Emil Ivanov
• Experimental and New Forms Award – a bas relief “PIERROT”
• Best Directing Award – a bas relief “PIERROT”
• Best Stage Design Award – a bas relief “PIERROT”
• Best Music Award – a bas relief “PIERROT”
• Best Actor Award – a bas relief “PIERROT”
• Best Actress Award – a bas relief “PIERROT”
• Young Critics’ Award – a bas relief “PIERROT”
Diplomas for participation will be bestowed to all participants.
STATE PUPPET THEATRE – STARA ZAGORA
46 “GEN. GURKO” ST.
6000 STARA ZAGORA
TEL./FAX: 00359 42 620 420
Festival manager: Mr. Darin Petkov